Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Key To Happiness Is...

I have always been fascinated by the mind/body connection. My fascination has led me to read many books by philosophers, theologians, sages, and doctors of all types. There appears to be one common thing that is shared by all; that our thinking if our most powerful asset, either positive or negative. The process of thought can dictate our health, happiness, success, etc. As a doctor I realized many years ago that my happy patients were my most healthy. I have also discovered that happiness is a choice and true happiness comes from within and cannot be obtained from anything external. I have some stories and quotes that have helped me and many others grasp this concept.

Too many times in life we blame others for our dilemma – “my boss,” “my ex-spouse,” “my kids” – without facing responsibility. One philosopher put it this way and I quote, “It is better for you to take responsibility for life as it is, instead of blaming others or circumstances for your predicament. As your eyes open, you’ll see that your state of health, happiness, and every circumstance of your life has been in large part, arranged by you consciously or subconsciously.” This is a very tough concept to understand, let alone live by. I do know one thing, that if you try to look at life this way, you become free. If my thinking and actions have created my life, then if I change my thinking I can change my life. I am in control because I blame no one. I am essentially free!

I found a story that I think says it all: There was a construction worker who would sit down at work with the other workers, open his lunch pail and start to complain, “Son of a gun!” he’d cry, “Not peanut butter and jelly.”

This went on for weeks until finally one worker was so sick and tired of hearing him complain he shouted, “My God man, if you don’t like peanut butter and jelly, tell your wife to make you something different.”

“What do you mean ‘wife’?” he replied, :I am not married, I make my own sandwiches.”

This humorous tale is quite profound. We all make our own sandwiches, sometimes we just forget. It was difficult then for me to understand bad things that occur in life. It left me confused – if I was generally happy, then what about bad times or tragedies? Why do they occur?

The same philosopher also told this story: An old man and his son worked a small farm with only one horse to pull the plow. The horse ran away.

“How terrible!” cried the neighbors, “What bad luck!”

“Who knows if it is good luck or bad luck,” the farmer replied.

A week later the horse returned from the mountains, leading five wild mares into the barn.

“What wonderful luck!” said the neighbors.

“Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?” the old man replied.

The next day, the son, trying to tame one of the horses, fell and broke his leg.

“How terrible! What bad luck!”

“Good luck? Bad luck?”

The army came to all the farms to take the young men for war. The farmer’s son was of no use to them, so he was spared.

“Good? Bad?”

Everything has a purpose in life! A purpose. We may not understand it, we may not want it, but lessons in life are a part of the journey. It is also apparent that it is not what happens in these lessons that is as important as how we handle them. Do we grow and become wiser? Or bitter and say ‘why me?’ Happiness is a choice, enjoy your lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment